Home Forums General Discussion Alcohol reduces the severity of RA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

An article in the journal Rheumatology says alcohol reduces the severity of RA.  I don't have the link but I wonder about this.  It has been on the news alot.

ideamktg
    Keymaster

Drink up? But I would be careful; several drugs also effect the liver and alcohol may interact with medications.

More info here:
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-07-30-alcohol-arthritis_N.htm

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

RA involves fatigue and depression.  Alcohol is a depressant.  Doesn't make sense it would help.  It is recommended to limit sugar intake.  Bacteria love sugar.  Alcohol is sugar.  Doesn't make sense it would help either.

frhorngal
    Participant

I always feel immediate relief when I have a glass of wine or a gluten free beer that lasts through the day/evening…much more symptom relief than when I take an NSAID…however, the next day I pay for it because the pain and swelling come back with a vengeance! Very vicious cycle…

RA/Lyme: 100mg Minocin (brand) MWF, 3mg LDN, 10mg CBD- BID

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

the pain and swelling the next day may be from either the sulphites that are used as preservatives in wine or the gluten that is found in beer and most spirits. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Carrie-RA
    Participant

Of course this would be too good to be true. Alcohol may dull the pain for a while but it would do that for all “pain” not just RA. It's no better for RA folks than anyone else. However, can it be any worse than some of the RA drugs we're taking? I think I have a new hole in my stomach (as evidence by the huge amt of burning I'm having for the past week) from all the Meloxicam, Prednisone and Minocycline I'm taking. I'm going to have to stop and regroup. Maybe I just need a big drink!

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I take the minocycline with food, otherwise it bothers my stomach.  Do you take your meds with food?

redrock
    Participant

Everything in moderation.

nord
    Participant

The following struck me when a Lyme doc recently explained that disseminated Lyme is very active in the capillaries, effectively narrowing them. Alcohol has the opposite effect. I have experienced a higher sensitivity to alcohol, but symptom improvement. After effects worse though. Alcohol tends to reduce hydration (from several effects) and thus making blood thicker, on top of other negative effects other have explained above.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Nord-

I like your picture.  It looks like Scandinavia.

nord
    Participant

Close enough, thank you! I'm from Scandinavia, but it's enroute Chamonix (-Mt Blanc, France) and Zermatt in the (Swiss) Wallis Alps close to the Italian border. The picture is a form of goal-setting :), and old. The road back will be long; I just got a call from the German Lyme doctor, and I'm Lyme and Cpn pos. Although geograpically, the doc's office is just a couple of hours' drive away  from the Swiss alps. 🙂

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Wow Nord – at least you now know what you are dealing with! CPn and borreliosis are supposedly the major pathogen load in my mix also. So will be interested to hear about your treatment and responses. Take care, Lynnie

BTW – I find wine most certainly affects me. Without fail, I have some swelling and joint pain the day after drinking wine.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Michele
    Participant

frhorngal,

Who makes Gluten Free Beer!!!!???

My DH just found out in the midst of lyme treatments that he is genetically predisposed to Celiac disease and he can never have gluten again. He listed the things he could never have again, and beer was one!!!

He will be happy to hear this!!! :roll-laugh:

Michele

frhorngal
    Participant

There are a few gluten free beers- Redbridge is the most widely available and is a Budweiser product.

I mainly drink Bards which even my beer snob husband declares to be tasty.

The best is Greens from England…they have 3 different brews and are more in line with microbrew beer drinkers.

RA/Lyme: 100mg Minocin (brand) MWF, 3mg LDN, 10mg CBD- BID

nord
    Participant

Hello Lynnie,

and thank you for the support! I was actually a bit relieved as I got the results (will have to wait until next week to get the full report), as I've suspected this. Better to know the enemy. At the appointment, the Dr issued the “Medication plan” that I mentioned in  http://rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=4946&forum_id=1

If Cpn were found he would add Rifampin/Rifampicin (not sure of if he intends to do it from the start, which would not be good). As I've missed the possibility to start the infusions this month, I consider to start taking oral abx (as also outlined in the post above). Possibly with the addition of the Hydroxychloroquine (as it possibly also helps with secondary porphyria from chlamydial die-off).

Not fun with the (extra) day-after effects, red wine could be good otherwise, as it contains a bit antioxidants, acting against inflammation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘ Alcohol reduces the severity of RA’ is closed to new replies.