Home Forums General Discussion Advice at four months into abx – is it a herx?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Cathlo
    Participant

Would love some input from those that have been here… Having been so optimistic all of 3 or 4 weeks ago that i was truly getting better- I was ready to sing from the rooftops (tho with my singing, everyone would have run to the hills 😉 ). But for a couple of weeks I had miraculously less aches, almost none!! just some morning swelling in toes & fingers And now, for last three weeks, I have taken a real turn for the worse. Aches in all sorts of places and pain is back in feet. And with it, I feel so down again. I guess I can only hope this is a herx – but there is no way of knowing is there. I know everyone’s experience is different, but any advice on what I should be doing (possibly nothing) would be appreciated. I have kept pretty well to gluten/dairy/sugar free – and haven’t changed anything radically. Thanks

2013 Poor gut & low white blood cells. Jan 2014 RA symptoms. Diet - no gluten/dairy/nightshades/sugar. Started AP in Oct 2014. On Mino MTWTF. RA improved but still there. Many supplements.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Cath,

Noticed in your signature line that you just increased your mino dose as follows:

“01/15 upped 100mg Mino 5x a week.”

Any recent changes in dose can result in new rounds of herxing. To help with this, you might want to either consider asking your doc about a washout and re-introducing at the same or a lower dose or you can also work on detoxing.

Flares can also still occur until remission is reached, but these should become less frequent, less intense and shorter in duration as time goes by. It’s still fairly early days for you and changes in protocol aren’t usually considered until about the 6-8 month mark if no signs (e.g. labs) or symptom improvements have been noted by that point.

m.
    Participant

I think what you’re describing is normal.

Since 2008, when I started AP, I’ve had good days and bad days, often for no apparent reason.

The bad days/weeks usually stir up a lot of anxiety and worry in me, which is not easy to manage. I can certainly understand when you say you feel so down! Try to keep the faith. The fact that you responded well at one point, that you had a window of improvement, no matter how small, is a very good sign.

Although two steps forward and one step back is very common, the general trend should be towards improved labs + improved symptoms.

Maz had a good catch when she noticed your protocol change. That can really stir up the hive.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.