Home Forums General Discussion Acid Reflux apple cider vinegar

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    enzed
    Participant

When I get acid reflux I drink a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar mixed with a glass of water.
    Works quickly and works every time for me.

What do others use to stop acid reflux?

mj47
    Participant

My husband uses DGL.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Eat an alkaline diet- cucumbers, celery, avocados, cinnamon.

Krys
    Participant

I’m taking Betaine & Pepsin for reflux and it works great for me!!!

Articles pointing to insufficient stomach acid as the cause of reflux / GERD:
    http://drlarsen.com/is-heartburn-really-due-to-too-much-acid/

Here is a test for you.
    If you feel reflux or heartburn, after eating take 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar of 4-8 oz of water and drink it. If your symptoms get better, there is a good chance you are experiencing insufficient acid production. If it makes it worse, you might have an ulcer and need further evaluation.

http://chriskresser.com/what-everybody-ought-to-know-but-doesnt-about-heartburn-gerd
    http://balancedbites.com/2012/01/why-you-want-more-stomach-acid-not-less.html
    http://www.doctoryourself.com/reflux.html
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/04/25/news-flash-acid-reflux-caused-by-too-little-acid-not-too-much.aspx

DGL licorice is mentioned as very helpful by many. Many hits on Google!
    Warm wishes, Krys

enzed
    Participant

@Krys wrote:

I’m taking Betaine & Pepsin for reflux and it works great for me!!!

Articles pointing to insufficient stomach acid as the cause of reflux / GERD:
    http://drlarsen.com/is-heartburn-really-due-to-too-much-acid/

Here is a test for you.
    If you feel reflux or heartburn, after eating take 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar of 4-8 oz of water and drink it. If your symptoms get better, there is a good chance you are experiencing insufficient acid production. If it makes it worse, you might have an ulcer and need further evaluation.

http://chriskresser.com/what-everybody-ought-to-know-but-doesnt-about-heartburn-gerd
    http://balancedbites.com/2012/01/why-you-want-more-stomach-acid-not-less.html
    http://www.doctoryourself.com/reflux.html
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/04/25/news-flash-acid-reflux-caused-by-too-little-acid-not-too-much.aspx

DGL licorice is mentioned as very helpful by many. Many hits on Google!
    Warm wishes, Krys

Thanks for posting the research links Krys, very interesting, I’ve now read all those articles. I see the apple cider vinegar is actually the correct thing to take for acid reflux and it certainly works for me. Also eating natural greek yoghurt, another stomach protection and something I take. There was also informative information there regarding cholesterol – something I learnt years ago that enabled me to steer clear of cholesterol drugs because they are dangerous. Once read a great book called ‘The Myth Of cholesterol’ truly an eye opener.
    Apple cider vinegar is also advocated for diabetics to take with water before meals as it limits carbohydrate being absorbed and consequently can keeps blood sugar under control without drugs – there’s a lot written about it on the ‘Dr Bernstein Diabetic Forum’.
    Very good, thanks a lot.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Lack of stomach acid may be a cause for some, but for those older there is definitely too much acid.

enzed
    Participant

@Jan Lucinda1 wrote:

Lack of stomach acid may be a cause for some, but for those older there is definitely too much acid.

I agree – after reading that too little stomach acid was the cause, as an experiment, I ate a piece of stone fruit to see what would happen. I found out at 3am with a nasty rush of reflux. I took the apple cider vinegar and it took 2 hours to abate and for the reflux to stop. So in my case it is too much acid, not too little.

I also followed the links from one of those articles and registered for a ‘free’ newsletter, only to find that the author wants a huge amount of money for printed material, so it is actually advertising for a book sale anyway. It’s a bit like supplements I guess; where there’s money to be made we must not believe everything we read.

richie
    Participant

Hi–Having scleroderma you must approach reflux differently —scleroderma can damage the lower esophageal sphincter or commonly called “trapdoor”–if this valve is working properly it closes preventing acid from backing up –In many folks with scleroderma this trapdoor gets overgrown with collagen preventing it from closing and letting all the acid back up–Adding acid for a scleroderma patient is sure to yield damage to your esophagus over time –that is why so many people have real esophagus trouble requiring stretching or a boot inserted —A person with scleroderma MUST reduce the amount of acid in their stomach –Any doctor who is somewhat knowledgable about scleroderma will be certain to prescribe an anti-reflux med or PPI —
    richie

enzed
    Participant

@richie wrote:

Hi–Having scleroderma you must approach reflux differently —scleroderma can damage the lower esophageal sphincter or commonly called “trapdoor”–if this valve is working properly it closes preventing acid from backing up –In many folks with scleroderma this trapdoor gets overgrown with collagen preventing it from closing and letting all the acid back up–Adding acid for a scleroderma patient is sure to yield damage to your esophagus over time –that is why so many people have real esophagus trouble requiring stretching or a boot inserted —A person with scleroderma MUST reduce the amount of acid in their stomach –Any doctor who is somewhat knowledgable about scleroderma will be certain to prescribe an anti-reflux med or PPI —
    richie

Thanks Richie, What you say makes sense for SD. I think I need to restart my prescription medication for reflux – I still have some. It’s called MEPRAZOL and it did work but can have a lot of side effects too. I stopped taking it when I hadn’t had reflux for a long time while on it. I got fed up with all the damned pills I have to take! But also, if I don’t eat anything acidic I rarely get reflux now anyway. So no fruit except for bananas that don’t seem to bother me at all.

quilter
    Participant

I saw your discussion and I want to give you my opinion. I was a nurse and my husband has a chronic problem with indigestion so I studied a lot about acid reflux. I don

Dancing feet are Happy feet!
    Nov 2007 Raynauds, Jan 2008 Carpal tunnel, Aug 2008 Rotator cuff, May 2008 MCTD, July 2013 H.Pylori, Aug 2015 Vaginal Atrophy
    Medications: Minocycline 100 mg MWF, Low Dose Naltrexone 4.5mg, Acidophilus 1-3 a day, Estradiol patch
    Vitamins etc.: Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin D-3 1000 IU a day, Aspirin 325 mg, Magnesium, B6, B12, Beta-carotene, Cranberry, Garlic, Multi Vitamin, and Glucosamine & Chondroitin with Boswellia & Manganese, & MSN, Grape Seed Complex, Meta

Maz
    Keymaster

@quilter wrote:

My husband takes an alka-seltzer almost every night, sometimes with a Pepcid. His doctor discourages taking alka-seltzer and he recommends taking anti-reflux meds or PPI. 😕

Carol, was your hubby also tested for H. Pylori? Might just be a prudent measure to also have him treated, as this is an infectious organism and, while most of us have H. Pylori and it may in some cases be a beneficial organism, when it becomes acute or chronic, it can cause all manner of digestive issues, including GERD. As you’ve recently been dx’s with H. Pylori, it is probably a good idea he get treated anyway. I’m just a patient, not a medical person, but just seems sensible in light of his symptoms and not out of the realms of possibility that partners could pass this bug back and forth.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/expert.q.a/09/16/h.pylori.transmission.brawley/

The Chief Medical Officer of the American Cancer Society writes:

“It is believed that half of the world’s population has this infection. In developing countries, infection is common in children and affects more than 80 percent before age 50. In developed countries, such as the United States, infection in children is rare. In the United States, about 10 percent of those between 18 and 30 years of age and half of people over age 60 are infected.

The route by which H. pylori infection occurs remains unknown. Person-to-person transmission of H. pylori through either fecal/oral or oral/oral exposure seems most likely.

JohnnyMax
    Participant

@Jan Lucinda1 wrote:

I think it is just the opposite of this. When you are younger and have signs of excessive stomach acid, ie reflux, it really is an excess and antacids are the appropriate remedy for temporary relief. Unfortunately as we age we lose the ability to produce HCL, so when you are older, it is more likely that the reflux and other signs of what appears to be an excess of stomach acid is actually hypochloryidia, a condition of low stomach acid, which has virtually the same symptoms of excessive acid. In cases such as this, while antacids may temporarily relieve the discomfort, in the long term it tends to make things worse. Certain supplements ie betaine hydrochloride and using apple cider vinegar actually help the condition by assisting a more complete digestive process and stopping the reflux and related issues.

enzed
    Participant

@richie wrote:

richie

Hi Richie,
    Just this week I have had a significant reduction of skin thickening that was prominent on one side of my face. This has happened after just 3 weeks since switching from Mino to Doxy. Skin thickening on the backs of both hands is significantly less also. From your information, it seems likely that a reduction in collagen will also be happening internally, so the esophageal ‘trapdoor’ should be improving too. I sure hope so!

jelretiredmama
    Participant

Hi all

Can’t help but want to share my experience re acid reflux. Again, I state – my experience / my situation. I was experiencing some acid reflux after being diagnosed with SD. However, I also did the little test (on the advice of my ND) to determine whether I had too much or too little stomach acid. Turns out I had very little stomach acid. Too much or too little produces similar symptoms, so I would caution everyone when deciding on appropriate treatment / medication. I started taking HCL Betaine with Pepsin with great results. Have been doing so for over a year now and have been able to reduce dosage to maybe one per day with the evening meal.

Best wishes!

Rosey UK
    Participant

I take bicarbonate of soda. I make a glass up of large half a tsp in a tumbler of water or one tsp in pint glass o water. When I have acid I sip a few sips and it balances my pH levels. Ita the best. I still have my prescription Ranatadine twice a day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.