Home Forums General Discussion A question for Maz

• This topic has 6 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 16 years ago by GJH.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    GJH
    Participant

Hi Maz,

I've noticed tha you take 100mg Minocin M,W,F and Azithromycin T,Th. I also take Mino M,W,F. I take Azithromycin T,Fr. Is there a reason for your schedule? Should I switch to taking Zith T,Th?

Your response would be greatly appreciated,

GJH
    RA/Minocin 100×2 7 daily 9/06-11/07; ABX 11/07

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi GJH,

When I asked my LLMD if I could try low dose AP, he agreed and added zith to the mix, but pretty much left the dosing and schedule in my hands. I did a bit of research and found that on http://www.rheumatic.org/faq.htm FAQ # 13.c. there is some info on adding zith to the mix to jumpstart progress.

So, really no particular reason for this regimen, except that I'm just following the protocol mentioned on that site (I have a feeling DR F had a hand in writing some of those FAQ up?).  Must admit, I'm flying blind with this, but something is working, because I've been having strange herx-like symptoms for the past couple days (I started zith 10 days ago). I'm thinking I might even lower the dose to one zith on Tues and Thurs and see how that goes.

What about you? Did your doc explain the rationale for taking zith together with mino on Fridays? How have you been doing on this mix? Herx symptoms?

Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Peace, Maz

GJH
    Participant

I pretty much made my own decision about adding Azithromycin to the mix in November. I read in one of the posts on the old BB that Dr. S has prescribed this regimen to some of his patients.

Originally, I was seeing Dr. T in Boston who put me on Mino 2x/daily. I stuck to this schedule for one year in spite of horrible itching and hyperpigmentation. I asked him on a few occasions about pulsing but he was death set against it. He actually suggested that I go back to taking MTX or Arava even though I had horrible side effects, such as upper chest congestion and my hair started falling out big time. It took almost two years for my hair to grow back. I was very dissapointed in him. I live in Western Massachusetts, two and a half hours away, and he would spend 10-15 minutes with me and would ignore my concerns.

In November I went to see another doc http://www.rheumatic.org/malis.htm who is not a Rheumy but beleives in AP. He is fond of MP protocol but is flexible enough to work with me.

I am feeling OK for now and not really Herxing but don't know how long I can stay on this regimen. Indefenitely???

GJH

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=83]GJH[/user] wrote:

I am feeling OK for now and not really Herxing but don't know how long I can stay on this regimen. Indefenitely???

Hi GJH,

Thanks for your response. That's a good question to which I don't have the answer for myself, either!  My plan is to get all my inflammation markers down on this protocol (hopefully with my LLMDs agreement as he does like to change things up a every so often) and to feel good in myself for a few months. Then, I may try to lower the dose or increase the spacings of zith, first, gradually weaning off to see how I go. This could change, but it's my plan for now. 😉

Peace, Maz

GJH
    Participant

Thanks Maz. Keep me posted if your AP protocol changes.

You also mentioned in your posts that you are looking into getting bee venom shots. I tried that in 2002 for a whole year. The shots were painful and did not help much with inflammation. It seems to work for people with osteoarthritis.

Best, GJH

Maz
    Keymaster

GJH – thanks for the info on the bee venom shots! I've been hoping someone who had actually tried them and given them a fair chance would give them a rating. I know of just one other person who felt they'd saved a few joints and I understand some people are getting relief for MS (a colleague of my husband's is a beekeeper in his spare time and currently studying how to help his brother and father-in-law who both have MS with this therapy)…but it's always good to hear all sides for a balanced perspective. Thanks for sharing your experience – much appreciated. 😀

You asked if I'd let you know when I'm going to change up my abx protocol and, after speaking with a very experienced APer about my latest herx symptoms this weekend, I've decided to drop the dose of zith to one tab every 10 days and see how that goes for a bit. If you change things up, too, would you give me a nod and a wink on how things are going for you, too? …it's so helpful knowing how others are doing on a similar protocol. Cheers!

Peace, Maz

GJH
    Participant

I forgot to mention that bee venom supposedly does wonders for people with MS and there are a bunch of testimonials on the web.

Best, GJH

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ A question for Maz’ is closed to new replies.