blastocystis hominis

Moderators: Cheryl F, lynnie_sydney, Maz, RBFV

blastocystis hominis

Postby liveinhope » Tue May 17, 2011 3:10 am

Hi,

I have Diffuse Scleroderma and have recently been told I have "numerous blastocystis hominis cysts" in my gastro tract. I just wonder if anyone else has encountered this and if it has any significance to SD. I think this has manifested due to my weak immune system (probably along with other things).

On a positive note, I am now 6 months into AP and I am seeing improvement in some symptoms of my SD. I can put my socks on without pain and contortions as of last week. I have said since the start that when this happens, I know I am really getting better!

I am starting a program at the gym as well of gradual exercise. I also hope to go back to work in August - at least part time to see how I go. We are heading into winter now in the Southern Hemisphere, so I pray I will fare better with digital ulcers etc. than the last two years.

For anyone who reads this, I hope and pray your health is improving on the road back.

Warm regards

Ben

Diffuse SD for 2 years
Treatment: AP
Minocycline 100mg, 3 days/week
Funglin half a tablet 2 days/week
Klasid half a tab 2 days/week
Eryc 1 tab 2 days/week
IV Clindamycin 600mg twice daily for 5 days, every 3 months
Plus other supplements and symptomatic relief drugs
liveinhope

Re: blastocystis hominis

Postby lynnie_sydney » Tue May 17, 2011 6:22 am

Nice to hear from you Ben - and with some very encouraging signs of improvement :D ! In terms of the ulcers, if you go to the Front Page of General Discussion and type 'digital ulcers' and/or 'finger ulcers' into the search box at the top of the list of threads, alot of past discussion on this subject will come up for you to read through. Here is a link to one thread in which Cheryl F describes how her daughter successfully treated those. Lynnie

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=318&hilit=digital+ulcers
Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 20+ yrs (Chronic Lyme, CPn,)
Mino 2003-2007 100mg MWF
Now: diet to heal gut - no gluten, dairy, sulphites - 70-80% alkaline effect food
abx regime from May 2012 : MWF a.m. Cefaclor (1/4 375mg) + Fungilin 5mg (amphotecerin)
p.m. Cyproxin 500mg(1/4) + Cilicaine VK (phenoxymethyl penicillin)
supps: 600mg N-AC BID, CoQ10, B-Complex, B-12 sub-lingual, probiotic, Ascorbic Acid 2 grams,
3mg Melatonin + 5-HTP to promote sleep, Krill Oil + Lithium Orotate (natural mineral)
2007 testimonial: http://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fusea ... d/490.html
personal progress:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=371
lynnie_sydney
Volunteer

Postby Maz » Tue May 17, 2011 10:57 am

liveinhope wrote:I have Diffuse Scleroderma and have recently been told I have "numerous blastocystis hominis cysts" in my gastro tract. I just wonder if anyone else has encountered this and if it has any significance to SD. I think this has manifested due to my weak immune system (probably along with other things).

Hi Ben,

It's wonderful to hear you're already experiencing some positive effects from your abx therapy and I'm rooting for you that you can go back to work part-time in Aug, as your goal - GO BEN!

I've done a little reading on blastocystic hominis and it seems it's considered a fairly common intestinal protozoan parasite (maybe one of the most common found in the human gastro-intestinal tract), with numerous species that infect both man and animals and thought to be an airborne/foodborne pathogen. Here's the rub, though...people who are immune-compromised, which anyone with SD or another rheumatic disease will be, will often have overt symptoms of this infection, including (according to Wiki):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blastocystis_hominis

"...diarrhea, nausea, abdominal cramps, bloating, excessive gas, and anal itching."

So, is this infection likely to be causing you issues? More than likely - most SDers will have some gut issues - whether from diet or infections - and are pretty immune-compromised. Therefore, it's probably something you could discuss with your AP doc to ensure this corner is covered in your treatments.

Interestingly, the treatments for blastocystic hominis run along the same lines as those patients who have Lyme disease and the coinfection, babesiosis, which is a malaria-like protozoan infection. Here is a Mayo Clinic link on this:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blasto ... -and-drugs

And another:

http://www.badbugs.org/Blastocystis_hom ... tment2.htm

Bearing in mind that mainstream treatments will likely only be dispensed in cookie-cutter time-frames, my best guess is that, as with Lyme and coinfection treatments, therapy for this infection should probably be given for as long as symptoms persist....but this is just speculation on my part. ;)

Let us know what you discover, Ben, and what your AP doc thinks about treatment for this. All the best in your researches!
RA/Lyme - ABX since 11/06
Personal Progress Thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=301
Current Abx Protocol:
Clarithromycin 250mg BID re-started 11/5/13
Moxatag 775mg BID started 3/8/14
Plaquenil 100mg BID
Ivermectin 1mg (rx compounded) daily, started 9/21/11
Various staple supps: Enhansa, NAC, ALA, Morinda Supreme, KriaXanthin, B Complex, Milk Thistle, Dessicated Adrenal, Adaptan-All, Probiotics, Systemic Enzymes, Vit D3, Magnesium Citrate, Sodium Ascorbate, ImmunoPro, Nrf2 Activator, Liposomal glutathione.
Intermittent supps: Chemet every third day, along with NAC and BioPure Chorella followed by BioActive Minerals day following oral chelation. Weekly Myer's Cocktails and Glutathione IV Pushes for detoxification. Tri-salts and Opticleanse GHI.
FIR Sauna and other detox methods as described in Personal Progress Thread.
Maz
Volunteer

Postby liveinhope » Wed May 18, 2011 6:58 pm

Thanks for that Maz and Lynnie,

I am due to phone my AP doc (Dr D in Melbourne) any time soon so I will see what she says too. My GP over here in the west has suggested herbal medicine: "botanical treatment with paracea forte for a month, then parex for a month alternating the two for 6 months". Prior to starting that, I am finishing a week's course of antibiotic - metronidazole, prescribed by my rheumy. My rheumy was the one who discovered the blastocystis when he ordered a stool sample while I was in hospital for my 2nd IV of clindy (about a month ago). He noted how I had had increased diarrhea from my last clindy IV, and ongoing symptoms after that. I am learning the effects of different foods on my gut. Eg, anything spicy is a definite no no! Though some days I don't know why my diarrhea is worse. I think stress is a factor...

I went to the gym yesterday for the third time. I've been away for a week since my first two sessions as they needed me to have a doc's certificate. It was encouraging to see improvements in all my times eg on the rowing machine I can do 500m in 2 min 40 sec whereas I couldn't even complete 400m the first time. This disease has wasted me away over the last two years. My body is a shell of my former self. When I look in the mirror, all I see is skin and bone. I am on my last hole in my belt. I started at 105kg and am now 82kg. I hope the gym and other exercise will begin to rebuild the muscles. The book 'Solving the Puzzling Problem of Arthritis' by Pat Ganger and Carol Lange has a good chapter on rehabilitating your body. My goal is to play basketball again one day.

Going back to work is a double edged sword. It is good because I don't want to get out of touch with too long a break and feel like I'm starting my job again as a beginning teacher which would make me feel a bit nervous. When I think about going back I get nervous already so I hope my confidence in my ability to teach won't take a dive. The feeling of peace I have experienced with no work responsibilities for 6 months has made me realise that you always carry around a measure of stress when working. Even when on school holidays you never really fully relax because you know work is just around the corner and there are always things you could/should be doing. Thankfully my school is very supportive and will set up my timetable to ease me in as best as possible. It is also good I'm going back because I do miss my job, the staff, and students and the feeling of being part of the team. My school is a special place.

Well this has turned into a bit of a reflective journal but I guess that's what the forum is all about. I hope my thoughts and experiences encourage someone else too! I believe that nothing happens without a purpose and all things give us an opportunity to adjust our lives. I have certainly been able to reflect on and address areas of my life that needed tidying up. I guess SD is only one thing in my life that required healing.

Blessings

Ben
liveinhope

Postby lynnie_sydney » Wed May 18, 2011 10:01 pm

Ben - wanted to just add a couple of things to Maz's good suggestions and links. Firstly, I have taken Paracea Forte for a parasite cleanse (dont know which one because it was picked up through muscle-testing by a kinesiologist). It did work well for me. I am also currently taking artemisinin as a therapeutic probe for possible babesia infection (also a protozoa). This was hrough an LLMD who visits Australia twice a year (she's aussie born). Artemisinin is used alot for resistant malaria strains and also has some anti bacterial properties. (By the way, I have shared this with Dr D and she is okay with me taking it - I take on non-abx days, so not too overload liver. As you may know LW cant test for co-infections of Lyme). This could be worth you considering, perhaps in consultation with your GP, depending on how you go with the Paracea Forte. Here's another link which talks somewhat about artemisinin and blastocystis hominis.
http://pilladvised.com/2011/02/fighting-parasites/
Hope you go well with this. And dont worry too much, gather it can take a while to eradicate. Lynnie
Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 20+ yrs (Chronic Lyme, CPn,)
Mino 2003-2007 100mg MWF
Now: diet to heal gut - no gluten, dairy, sulphites - 70-80% alkaline effect food
abx regime from May 2012 : MWF a.m. Cefaclor (1/4 375mg) + Fungilin 5mg (amphotecerin)
p.m. Cyproxin 500mg(1/4) + Cilicaine VK (phenoxymethyl penicillin)
supps: 600mg N-AC BID, CoQ10, B-Complex, B-12 sub-lingual, probiotic, Ascorbic Acid 2 grams,
3mg Melatonin + 5-HTP to promote sleep, Krill Oil + Lithium Orotate (natural mineral)
2007 testimonial: http://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fusea ... d/490.html
personal progress:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=371
lynnie_sydney
Volunteer

Return to General Discussion